Saturday, November 9, 2013

Top Ten N64 Games

This was supposed to be a joint post with flashback Friday but I got a wee bit busy and so I postponed this  until today.  Get ready from some serious gamer nostalgia!







10. Mario Tennis: Did you really think that I wouldn't include this game in here?! Since I started playing the game in the late 90's I have NEVER lost a match in the game.  I welcome all challengers to see if they can defeat me, I dare you





9. Pokemon Stadium: For those of us that were raised with Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Pokemon Stadium was a huge deal.  You got to battle your Pokemon on the big screen for the first time and it was epic in every sense of the word.



8. NFL Blitz: This game right here, I don't think I have EVER laughed so hard playing any game ever than I have while playing Blitz.  The sheer awesomeness of having this be a free for all 6 vs 6 anything goes football game is something of beauty.



7. Turok: This game actually gave me nightmares.  I was supposed to have a friend sleepover when I was 8 years old and my Dad let me rent a game and since I LOVED dinosaurs, I choose this one.  I played it the night before he came over and it scared the shit out of me.  I had nightmares for the whole weekend and even slept in my parents room one night.  I went back a few years back and played it again and thoroughly had a good laugh at how I even got scared at this game.



6. Super Mario 64: I think I am going to catch some flak for this being so low on my personal list.  This game will forever be the first time I ever played a 3D video game.  This title by itself redefined the platform genre and gave new air to the Mario franchise.  After all these years I still have yet to complete the whole game.


5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: If I thought I was going to catch some flak for Mario, boy am I gonna get it for this one.  This is generally accepted as the greatest N64 game of all time and even on the greatest video games of all time.  I still go back from time to time to see how fast it takes me to beat the entire campaign but the journey that you embark on in this game is like no other.  It set the standard for emotional storytelling and depth within a video game, that I still hold to this day.


4. Golden Eye 007: There were other FPS and multiplayer games before this game but Golden Eye was the one that made the console FPS multiplayer mainstream.  I spent hours and hours with friends playing the 4 player free for all multiplayer mode.  It's great to go back and play the single player in this too because it is an incredibly solid and overlooked part of the game.


3. Star Fox 64: This game brought around the advent of the rumble pack and led the way for an entire generation of vibrating controllers.  Fox McCloud is my favorite all time video game character and his rival Wolf is my all time favorite video game villain.  But let's be real here, the REAL star of the game is Fox's squad mate Falco which introduced me to what being a huge asshole was like.  DO A BARREL ROLL!


2. F-Zero X: I still actively play this game today.  Whenever I get bored with playing Xbox, I immediately go for my N64 and play F-Zero X.  This made death races a cool thing.  Racing at speeds up to 4000 MPH while floating inches above the ground made for some tense moments when I raced.  The soundtrack as well, is my favorite video game soundtrack of all time.  I even liked it so much, I downloaded it onto my iPhone.  This is also Captain Falcon's introduction into my world as well.....SHOW ME YA MOVES!


1. Super Smash Bros.: For those of you who know me very well, this should come as no surprise at all. This is hands down my favorite video game series of all time.  I don't want to even think about all the hours spent beating the crap out of Luigi with Kirby and vice versa.  The replay-ability of this game is astronomical.  My friends and I get together to this day and still play the original SSB, it is just THAT good.

Just outside the top ten: 1080 Snowboarding, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Pokemon Snap, Donkey Kong 64, NHL Breakaway 98



That is my top ten everyone, I hope you all enjoyed the walk down memory lane because I sure did!

No comments:

Post a Comment